Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Practicum Revealed

Ok, after about 400 permutations, it looks like my practicum is finally set. It is soon to be in the long red-tape process and I appreciate your prayers for everything to work out smoothly. I was still looking to work stuff out for Sheffield, but a little ol' gal named Katrina sort of changed all that.

So it appears I'll be back in Baton Rouge pretty soon. I should be there around early to mid-October. It also looks like I'll get to do my practicum with the Ring, which will really save a LOT of time and allow for a LOT of creativity with the stuff I put together. Lebraix has been kind enough to house me and I'm gathering all the paperwork and signatures now.

The job search continues, but I'm doing a couple of things to (hopefully) string a few bucks together in the meantime. I've wanted to write for a while and have about half of a short story I'm finishing to submit as a sample writing thing and I'm sending queries out to see if I can't get some freelance work. One thing about your childhood home becoming unlivable and the town you considered a steady fallback suddenly doubling in size, it makes the outlandish dream plans you had seem not so crazy after all.

I'll start blogging more soon, even though I've only experienced about 1% of the frustration most people actually still in the Gulf Coast have felt, it's still been a bit daunting to try and plan anything for the future.

5 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Blogger thomas said...

i know what you mean about plans. i am stuck it seems. paralyzed. i didn't lose anything and i am healthy (sort of) yet i feel like i am bogged down by indecision and uncertainty. i lack the faith i had two months ago to dive right in.

i know all that is kind of depressing and heavy for a first comment in a while, but that is the honest truth of my "hurricane". i realize i have not written at all since returning from portugal and i need it so bad. my thoughts are cluttered and chaotic because i have not expressed them. i need to write.

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Wayj said...

no, the depressing and heavy is fine. it's been a pretty traumatic time (even for those of us who have come out relatively ok).

i feel like there's a line between lacking faith and going through the hard times. i know you'll know what i mean when i say that i think we try to emotionally cheat these times and fail to let them do their work. i think it's really important for things to be hard and for them to not always turn out the way we think they should.

a lot of people would say that that's learning God's will, but i think that's kind of too simple. i think there's a point where us not getting our way does not equal God getting his.

a really horrible thing has happened, and if we're not careful we can get bogged down in the enormity of it. i guess i'm saying i don't think it's a lack of faith, i think it's a lack of fight, and both are necessary. it's the combination of faith and fight that actually make us chrisitans.

depending on your background, one or the other will be much more of a default setting. we as baptists are especially prone to be very passive in our understanding of the world, but when something like this patch of hurricanes crops up, it becomes obvious that there's a reall activist element to what Christ is doing in the world.

many activists have just as dim a concept of trusting the Lord, but i went the other way on my tangent.

anyway, i'll be in br soon (october 12th, hopefully), so we'll have plenty of time to sit and talk and write and share our thoughts and writings, too.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger susan said...

so, even though it's been a while since you've written this, i was totally with you on the feelings about katrina... and pascagoula and baton rouge. unreal...

i hope everything is working out well for you with the future plans :)

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Hey Jared! Ok so it is past October 12 (the 13th to be exact). Are you here? I have a job now in Baton Rouge as well... sort of commuting from home as the apartment market is rather non-existent. Well, your probably busy moving or something so excuse the impatience but I was just curious about the whereabouts of the famous JWilly!

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Wayj said...

Thanks for the reminder, Jenny. The new post is up. I'm here. We'll have to get coffee or lunch during your BR times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home