Friday, August 12, 2005

What's Everybody Listening To?

So I got an iPod free with my laptop and I've been addicted to iTunes ever since. I liked the subscription service Napster when I tried it out a while ago, but it was just too "buggy." So, tell me about what you're listening to these days. Here's two of my current faves:

1. Coldplay, X&Y - OK, so not the most original choice, but I do dig these guys. They're not breaking new ground, but they have achieved the formulae for building perfect pop songs. They are the perfect example of a line from Nick Hornby in High Fidelity (I'm pretty sure it's in the movie, too, but it's been a while) when the main character says, "I don't know if I'm miserable because I listen to pop music or if I listen to pop music because I'm miserable."
Other forms of music are more technical and at times more beautiful, but pop music really is about hitting the masses where they feel it, and this album is just that.

2. Badly Drawn Boy, One Plus One is One - If you don't know about BDB, he did the soundtrack for About A Boy. I really dig his music and can't this album out of my head. It was released last year, but still is "new to me" and I'd really recommend it.

So there you go, white boy uk indie rock is my recommendation du jour. Let me know what you're listening to these days so I can add it to my iPod! NOW!

7 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Alli Miller said...

I heart Coldplay.

As for other music suggestions, I don't really have any. I work too much so taking the time to develop a healthy music collection ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Jake said...

Hey Man,

Nothing groundbreaking here. I dug up a few burnt CD's so I'm rediscovering the joys of why I burnt them in the first place. I can't stop playing the song "Long on Diagnosis, Short on Cure" by Don Chaffer/Waterdeep. I think he recorded that with waterdeep. I hear he's got a few solo albums that I'd like to check out. I really think that he's a great writer.

I really enjoy coldplay, don't be ashamed. Think of it as exclusive pop at least.

Everything I've heard from Damien Rice on my Yahoo streaming station sounds terrific. I know I'm about 2 years late in saying that but I dig that dude a lot.

Allison,
You drive more than any human being I know. TURN THE RADIO ON!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Wayj said...

Don't worry about things being a few years old. I'm definitely just emerging from my own mountain of books and schoolwork. The worship leader at my church was playing the Second Worship Circle, the one Ben is on, and I remembered how much I dug that whole scene. I really love Ben's songs on that cd, actually.

I'll check the Don Chaffer and Damien Rice (isn't he a defensive end for the KC Chiefs?) stuff out.

And in Allison's defense, Jake, you of all people should know the black hole of radio that is the drive between Baton Rouge and north Louisiana.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Alli Miller said...

Clearly chivalry is not dead. Thanks Jared.

And while I do drive around a lot, I try and use the time to talk to God. But Jake, if you think that's a bad idea and I should turn the radio on instead of talking to the God of the Universe....

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Wayj said...

K!!!!!! I'm emailing you soon. Let's hang out!

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Christina said...

Here's a few of my favorites, and I love talking about music by the way, so if you discover a cool band let me know.

www.ingramhillmusic.com
www.willhoge.com
www.needtobreathe.net
www.aslyn.net
www.grahamcoltonband.com
www.ryanadamsonline.com
www.bobschneidermusic.com (I don't recommend his old stuff)
www.thelosttrailers.com
www.leonanaess.com

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa. I can't believe you're not listening to Damien Rice already. so incredible.... I love Ray Lamontagne so much right now. The Gorillaz album is great, so is the new Beck. But, i'm definitely in an alt. country phase at the moment - so i'm listing to a lot of ryan adams etc.

My friend's band World Leader Pretend is absolutely fabulous. Keith is a genius. Their first major label release is Punches. It's amazing. (Sean played with them in New Orleans very briefly)

- Brooke

 

Post a Comment

<< Home