Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Been around the world...

Ok, so in the past three months I have gone from California to Louisiana to Mississippi to Louisiana to California to Louisiana to Mississippi to Louisiana to Tennessee to Ohio to Louisiana.

I am a bit tired. Coming back from Ohio, I was going to stay the night in Memphis on New Year's Eve, but when it came down to it, I just wanted to be in my own bed and act like I actually LIVE somewhere for at least a few days. I am weary and a bit worn down, but I am here in Baton Rouge and here I will stay (until I feel God calling me somewhere else).

So, now that I have a home (I've even paid rent already), there are a few things that will need to be accomplished:

1. Find a job. I have a few potential leads, but as of now I am unemployed. To give you an idea of the Baton Rouge job market, Lebraix put my resume in at his office for a Coordinator position and they already had about 60 applicants, including a couple of PhD's.

2. Help start a church. I moved here mainly because the Ring, the ministry I worked with before I left for California, is (finally) becoming a church. Since my degree has been in basically forming Christian communities in North America, I think this might be a good fit ;) As long as I was in CA, anything of worth that I learned would be immediately applied to the Ring and how we can respond to God's work in Baton Rouge. It's a little easier said than done, though, when you live a few states away. Now that I'm here, I'm excited and ready to see how God is moving in each person here.

3. Connect/Reconnect. This is one of the harder things to do and one of the easier things at the same time. My friends here in Baton Rouge have been so gracious and loving to me, even when I've been a bit flaky. In Sierra Madre, pop. 10,000, I basically hung out with my neighbors, my roommate(s), Brooke and Jillian. Although this may seem boring, it was awesome. In Baton Rouge, pop. 350,000, I feel a bit overwhelmed by all the people I get to hang out with here. It will be very easy to hide away in cave, but I guess I'll have to get over the introvert thing and meet new people as well as fit back into the lives of everyone I knew before. This is where the whole weariness thing really shows up, though.

That's basically life right now, I think I'm going to start throwing out more discussion-based posts in the next couple of weeks, especially as I'll want to start bouncing ideas off of as many people as possible. I'm also starting to work on my own little website, but I think it will be a while still before I get to finish anything with that. I don't know if you know this, but it helps with web stuff if you actually know what you're doing. Crazy but true!

2 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well we miss you up here already. I've been home almost two days and I haven't been to a movie yet. What's going to happen...I'll discuss it during the Sierra Madre town meeting this week.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Wayj said...

yep, arrested development is not the same without you and lori either. let me know how the meeting turned out, luckily we replaced me with carey, so the population can remain at 10,000 exactly (or else the hellmouth will open).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home